9.20.2009

I'm ready for my close-up

Do you feel uncomfortably close to this decadence?

(if not, just click for a larger view, but I hope you don't need to.)

I made these brownies for a li'l evening party last week, and I thought it would be fun if I allowed our guests to take a bite of these and as I sat back to witness their reaction. But then I chickened out and blurted out the surprise as soon as one of them said, "Oooh, brownies!" Me: "They're spicy!"

They're made with cardomom, chipotle powder, coffee extract (because I couldn't find the instant espresso powder it called for) and some other stuff, like gobs of chocolate. And they tasted fantastic with at least 2 of the 3 bottles of red wine we had at our disposal. You can view the recipe on Smitten Kitchen, where I always go when I need culinary inspiration (also, Deb has mastered food photography, where I have not).

Please prepare yourselves for the making, baking, and raking delights of fall. And I'll prepare myself for the look I know I'm going to get for writing that.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Robin said...

Mmm, I wish I could taste one. I made chipotle brownies last year, and they were about a 50% hit! Zach and I really liked them, and then lots of other people did, but a lot found them a bit odd. :) I'll have to check out the smittenkitchen recipe too. What was your final verdict?

Elizabeth said...

One of them, a brownie aficionado, said these were among the best she'd ever tasted and asked for the recipe, which shocked me. The others seemed to enjoy the spice - I think Joel likes his a little chewier, though. These ones were on the gooey side. Overall, highly recommended.