8.07.2009

The gift of an afternoon off

I'm not sure which came first - my love of the name "Black-eyed Susan" or my love of the flower itself.

On a recent afternoon, I took advantage of a network outage at work to just enjoy the summer heat with a walk around Manito Park. There's something about walking around a park - or anywhere - by myself that makes my senses all the more heightened and my mind all the more curious. For instance, in the butterfly garden, I spent a good long time trying to figure out what inspired this mathematical equation, etched in the park bench. Thoughts?
And then I can never end a visit without going to the dahlia section. Man, I love these things. The petals are sometimes so tubular, and long and floppy, mangy even, it's impossible for me to look at them without mentally morphing them into a lion's head, like in Alice In Wonderland. And then, there are dahlias like these, that baffle you as to how they could belong in the same family. Beautiful.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: