9.28.2009

Homecoming

As an employee of my alma mater, nostalgia is an elusive feeling. I watched the wrecking ball thwack my freshman dorm to make way for new developments; I run into my old professors every couple of weeks; I'm among the first to hear campus news and big announcements. The transition from undergrad to employee was so fluid, and at this point, I've worked here longer than I studied, so the concept of "homecoming" is mostly lost on me. This weekend, though, homecoming entailed my class's five-year reunion. So before the campus filled up with alumni from various years, I decided to walk around and pretend I haven't been here for awhile.

I imagined my first stop would be the site of my aforementioned freshman dorm. It was part of what is known as "The Village." It was comprised of 6 super-ugly, identical buildings that Whitworth acquired after Expo '74. This is not to say that my experience living in it was any less fun or meaningful, it just got zero points on the aesthetic scale. Whitworth meant to use these buildings as temporary housing for students, but 35 years later, two are still standing. This is one of them.

Sophomore and junior years, I upgraded to the historical end of campus. I'm always a sucker for brick buildings and deciduous trees. Can you blame me? One of those windows on the first floor of that building straight ahead was mine. Can you get over that sun-bright green everywhere? These are crucial walks to take while you can.
Many college campuses have quads. Whitworth has a loop. I've always liked that about the campus, because I think it's translated well to Whitworth's intention for its culture. Plus, it makes for fun wordplay in our publications. ("Are you in the loop?" "Get in the loop!" Cheesy, no?) I'm sure that no matter what year you graduated, this shot is one you know well. It could be anywhere in the loop, but those towering pines sure would bring anyone back to memory lane.

The location of the entrance and the geraniums and marigolds that hold out through the first frost and greet you on your way in each fall also haven't changed since the moment I arrived on campus. And here we are, back to where I started.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: